The Best Laptops 2023 for Windows, MacBooks, and Linux
Buying a laptop is a big decision. With so many options available in the market, choosing the right laptop can be a daunting task. But worry not, as we have done the research for you and compiled a list of the best laptops you can buy in 2023.
When it comes to operating systems, Windows, MacBooks, and Linux are the most popular choices. Each has its own unique features and capabilities, catering to different needs and preferences. Let’s take a closer look at the best laptops for each of these operating systems.
For Windows users, the Dell XPS 13 is an excellent choice. It offers a sleek design, powerful performance, and a stunning display. The laptop is powered by the latest Intel processors and comes with ample storage and memory options. The XPS 13 also boasts an impressive battery life, making it perfect for those who are constantly on the go.
If you prefer MacBooks, the MacBook Pro 16-inch is the top pick. With its stunning Retina display, powerful performance, and outstanding build quality, the MacBook Pro is a favorite among professionals and creatives. It features an innovative Touch Bar and Touch ID, offering a seamless and secure user experience. The MacBook Pro also offers excellent battery life, allowing you to work for hours without having to worry about charging.
For Linux enthusiasts, the System76 Gazelle is a solid choice. Designed specifically for Linux OS, the Gazelle offers excellent compatibility and performance. It comes with the latest AMD or Intel processors, ample storage, and powerful graphics options. The laptop also features a customizable keyboard and a sturdy build quality, ensuring a smooth and reliable user experience.
Apart from these specific choices, there are a few laptops that excel across operating systems. The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is one such laptop. Known for its durability and reliability, the ThinkPad X1 Carbon offers impressive performance and a comfortable typing experience. It is equipped with the latest Intel processors, fast storage options, and a vibrant display. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon also has a great battery life, making it an ideal choice for business professionals.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly option, the Acer Aspire 5 is worth considering. With its affordable price tag, the Aspire 5 doesn’t compromise on performance. It offers a decent display, good battery life, and ample storage options. The laptop is powered by either AMD or Intel processors, depending on the model, and comes with sufficient memory for everyday tasks.
Battery life continues to be superior to the competitors, and performance is fluid for the majority of standard workloads. If you run resource-intensive programs on your devices, you may occasionally experience some stuttering. However, if you increase the unified memory from the default 8 GB to 16 GB, this problem disappears. This Mac does have a tendency to run warmly despite its fanless design, which means you won’t feel like you’re in a jet. One major drawback? You cannot set up a dual-monitor arrangement because it can only connect to one external display.
Best Windows Laptop
Best Linux Laptop
Best Budget Laptop
Best Repairable, Upgradeable Laptop
The AMD variant is now unavailable, and when completely customized on Framework’s website, the high-end models are expensive relative to what you receive.
Best MacBook Upgrade
Best 2-in-1 Laptop
Best Cheap MacBook
Best for Big Screen Productivity
Windows for Budding Creators
A Dual-Screen Dream Machine
The laptops of Lenovo’s Slim series are good. This AMD model is particularly wonderful with good battery life and impressive performance, especially in graphics-intensive activities (8/10, Montentech Recommends). It features an aluminum frame, a 2.5K, a 16:10 screen, and numerous connectors.
Dell XPS 13 Plus for $1,299
Dell divided their line-up of premium laptops in 2022, and the results weren’t spectacular. Although the XPS 13 Plus (7/10, Montentech Recommends) incorporated numerous innovative innovations, its exorbitant price could not be defended. Then, the usually top-notch Dell XPS 13 (5/10, WIRED Recommends) experienced a decline in quality. If you’re set on getting a Dell, neither of these machines should be fully discounted, but take these competitors into consideration first.
Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 for $1,000
It’s time for the Microsoft Surface team to exercise its finger. The machine’s obscenely large bezels are the most obvious example of how little the design has altered since it was first introduced. It’s a shame because the Laptop 5 has a good keyboard and an attractive, though rather dated, exterior. Given its flaws, the new model’s pricing is difficult to defend. Save some money on it instead since not much has changed since the Surface Laptop 4 (7/10, Montentech Recommends).
Laptop Buying Tips
- RAM: Make sure you get at least 8 GB of RAM—16 GB would be even better.
- 10th-generation or higher: There are dozens of chips on the market, but we prefer 10th-generation or higher Intel chips (we’re currently in the 13th generation).
- Core i5 or higher: We suggest going with at least an Intel Core i5, though an i7 will give you more power, which you’ll be glad you have if you’re doing anything taxing, like editing video or even processing large batches of photos. AMD has wisely elected to follow a similar naming convention, and we suggest a Ryzen 5 chip—though again, for more processor-intensive tasks the Ryzen 7 is the better choice. Currently, the newest chips are Intel’s 13th-generation Core chips and AMD’s 7000 series Ryzen chips.
- Screen resolution: The display depends on the size of the laptop. A 1080p (HD) screen on a 13-inch laptop looks good enough. A 1080p screen on a 15-inch laptop does not. If you spend all day staring at your screen, a higher-resolution screen (like a 4K screen) can ease eyestrain.
- 10 hours of battery: Make sure it’s advertised to get at least 10 hours of battery life if not more. Realistically, that should be enough to get you through a workday.
You may also like to check out:
- 2023’s top laptops for graphic design
- The Original iPhone Was Way Ahead of Its Time in These 5 Ways
- Does Surface hardware have a spot in the financial plan space?
- iPhone 15 and Entry-Level iPad Rumored to Switch to USB-C
- The Best Android Smartphone With The Best Performance In Operating System